Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Easy Pillowcase Chair Covers And A Story

We have this sweet table that my two oldest girls and I got for hubby one Father's Day years ago. In our little house we used to sit at the bar in the kitchen to eat, but then our family grew and we found ourselves having a hard time eating together, as a family. Sweet WB was bothered by this fact and so we went table shopping and had it delivered as a surprise. That dear table has seen as through a move, another child and several arts and crafts activities.

I was fairly oblivious to the colorful splashes of paint on the wooden top, the pen marks from an overzealous toddler, or the scratches to the finish. Please understand this comes from a woman who thinks hand prints in the dust that covers my end table is precious. As a mother of three young ones I've become oblivious to certain things. Call it selective sight, if you will. But one day my dear mother-in-law was doing a craft with the girls and she very innocently mentioned "It's great to have a table like this to do projects on because you don't have to worry about hurting it." Suddenly I saw the table in all its messy glory! So I told my husband we needed to shop for a new dining room table ASAP and retired the little round one to the school table.

I'm used to it's rather downtrodden look, actually every little bit of paint has a story and usually a bunch of giggling fun behind it. I get that, my mother-in-law gets that, my family gets that, but when I have lots of people over to my house for a gathering I become a little self-conscious about my little wooden table. So I throw a table cloth over the top, but the chairs, what to do with the chairs!


I came up with the bright idea to decorate pillow cases to slip over the backs of the chairs. I used brown to go with the fall theme. A standard pillowcase was just the right size. Due to time constraints we just got some iron on decals at the hobby store and my mother and kids ironed them on one side of the pillowcase.



That mess behind that the ironing board, I have no idea how that happpened. I swear!


I did have plans to do some hand print turkeys etc., but we opted for quick and easy since my party was the next day. And it was cheap!! I think for Christmas we'll do something more elaborate. Anyway, it worked and it covered my battle worn chairs.

2 comments:

  1. I thought they looked wonderful when we were there. I need to do that to my well-worn chairs!! And I also LOVE that table because we have had so many wonderful experiences around that "loved" table! And it would refinish nicely if you decided to go that route...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL so hard at the "mess" -- I totally understand. There are always messes in my background! The chair covers are wonderful and very attractive. I haven't been around, but I'll be visiting more often now that I'm back in Blog Land.

    ReplyDelete